This book was written as a letter to Jewish Christians, telling them that sufferings are only to test your faith. Important points:
- "...In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead..." (1 Peter 1:3)
- "...'All men are like grass...withers...but the Word of the Lord stands forever...'" (1 Peter 1:24)
- "...you are a chosen people...called out of darkness into His wonderful Light." (1 Peter 2:9)
- Indicating where Christ was in the inverval between His death and His resurrection, "...Christ...put to death in the flesh...went and preached unto the spirits in prison..." (1 Peter 3:18-19) And, further, "...for this cause was the Gospel preached also to them who are dead..." (1 Peter 4:6, from King James' Version)
- "...'If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?'" (1 Peter 4:18)
- "...'God opposes the proud (i.e., arrogant) but gives grace (i.e., favor and mercy) to the humble (i.e., not showy or vain).'" (1 Peter 5:5)
Stating that the world end was coming soon, other advice was to pray; show respect and love; fear God; honor government; find inner beauty; control your tongue.